Director, Public Affairs
CRAFT| Media/Digital is a dynamic and rapidly growing public affairs, public relations, and corporate branding firm, and the work we produce is a reflection of our clients’ views. CRAFT seeks highly motivated, resourceful individuals that are eager to stand on the front lines of today’s most contentious public affairs campaigns, high profile policy debates, notable non-profit initiatives and high-stakes corporate communications campaigns.
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to a Senior Vice President.
Summary: The Director, Public Affairs is responsible for developing and implementing multi-faceted public affairs and communication strategies to effectively engage in policy debates, shape public awareness and opinion, and impact media and digital coverage on behalf of corporate, association and nonprofit clients.
The successful Director thrives on tackling complex issues, developing creative solutions to difficult problems, and developing compelling messages and arguments that cut through and win.
The Director can move seamlessly across a mix of work that may include: industry reputation campaigns, crisis communications, media and advertising, ally development and coalition building, and grassroots engagement.
- Lead day-to-day execution of client projects and oversee implementation of all elements of client strategies and deliverables.
- Develop effective communications and public affairs strategies and advise client teams on strategic approaches and the most appropriate mix of communications and public affairs tactics for a given issue.
- Develop and manage work plans and budgets to ensure client objectives are met with high-quality, on-time, and on-budget deliverables.
- Draft compelling issue narratives, messages, and supporting communications materials.
- Translate complex issues into understandable messages and arguments that resonate with key audiences and stakeholders.
- Lead calls and team meetings to ensure regular, proactive communications.
- Manage and grow junior team members through coaching, regular feedback, and effective delegation.
- Provide regular, proactive communications and guidance to clients and internal teams.
- Manage an internal team and ensure high-quality work product and clear direction.
- Actively participate in business development by writing high-quality proposals, developing presentations, and taking part in pitches.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Qualified candidates will have:
- A minimum of 6-8 years of directly relevant public affairs experience with specific experience in issue advocacy and complex issue/reputation campaigns
- A minimum of 4 years of experience at a public affairs firm
- A proven track record of successfully managing public affairs clients and accounts
- Experience managing internal project teams
- Experience with coalition-building, branding, policy initiatives, alliance development and grassroots engagement strategies
- A solid understanding of digital, traditional, and paid media
- Outstanding writing skills across a variety of formats including messaging, persuasive writing, digital content, media materials and strategy documents
- Outstanding verbal communications and presentation skills
- Excellent client relationship management skills, and a proven ability to manage up
- A proven, self-starter mentality with a comfort level for working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines
- Ability to execute high quality work under tight deadlines with strong attention to detail
The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior experience with state and federal legislative advocacy campaigns
- Experience with crisis or litigation communications
- Fluency in digital and media engagement strategies
- Familiarity with paid advertising and creative services
- Work performed in an open office environment
- Daily work performed Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.; additional hours may be required on an as-needed basis
Please submit your cover letter and resume, with salary requirements, in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.